La Tomatina Festival
|29 Aug 2018||Traditional Festival||Book Now!|
La Tomatina Festival is a food fight festival held annually on the last Wednesday of August in the small town of Bunol, which is located near Valencia in Spain.
La Tomatina Festival 2018
Whatever did happen to begin this tradition, it was enjoyed so much that it was repeated each year after that.
La Tomatina festival was banned in the early 50s and local authorities were arresting the participants of this event back then.
1957 was a very important year for the La Tomatina Festival. The public demand led to its becoming official annual festival, with precisely defined rules and restrictions at the beginning.
Afterward, the town cobblestone streets are completely clean due to the acidity of the tomato which disinfects and thoroughly clean the surfaces.
The festival is in honor of the town’s patron saints, Luis Bertran and the Mare de Deu dels Desemparats (Mother of God of the Defenseless), a title of the Virgin Mary.
La Tomatina Rules
- Do not enter bottles or hard objects to the event.
- Do not tear or throw your T-shirts to others.
- Squash the tomatoes before throwing them.
- Participants have to make way for trucks and lorries.
- Stop to throw tomatoes when you hear the shot of the second warning fireworks.
The Tomato Fight Festival Info
- La Tomatina begins at 11.00am with a bang and ends at 12.00am on point with another.
- Only bring things you need! You will not need passports, laptops or mobile phones!
- Wear old clothes, or clothes you aren’t planning on wearing again and expect it to be torn off!
- Official buses return from the La Tomatina festival at 2pm. If you miss the bus, you will need to find a way back by yourself.
Video: La Tomatina Festival 2017